Thursday, May 17, 2012

Light and fluffy

Lately, my favorite place to read has been outside on our back patio in our anti-gravity chair enjoying the sunshine.

I take breaks from reading every chapter or so to look at the clouds and laugh at something awesome my dogs are doing. Today, Scout was lounging in the grass and a fly was pestering him. Everyone few seconds he would chomp at this near-invisible pest. Adorable.

I'm getting closer to being on-target with my reading goal of 40 books this year. Right now I'm on #15. I decided to go with something light and fluffy - #7 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, All Together Dead. I started reading the series in November 2009 (can I take a second to mention how much i LOVE goodreads? I love that I can find out when I read a book!) and gave up on it in August 2010 (seriously. Goodreads is amazing) when witches and more fantasy-land creatures came crawling from the pages. That was right around when HBO's True Blood season was over and I got rid of cable completely. I pretty well lost interest in it, even though I own book 1-9. 7, 8, and 9 have been sitting on my shelf - Quietly waiting for me to need to indulge in some guilty pleasure reading.

Enter summer of 2012! I've read some heavy topics lately: Ethiopian twin doctors trying to make sense of their childhoods during wartime (death count 15+) after their nun mother dies during childbirth and their birth father disappears (Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese) and a memoir about a girl who loses her virginity at 14-years old and ends up being betrayed by the boy she "loved" at age 15. After I finished The Only Girl in the Car by Kathy Dobie I felt the urge to take a hot, hot shower.

So now I'm reading light and fluffy. The buttercream of my 2012 reading list - Sookie Stackhouse.



No comments:

Post a Comment