Thursday, September 1, 2011

I have worked all of my life, so I really don't have any hobbies. - Stephen Hill

Oh, Stephen. I have studied all of my life, so I really don't have any hobbies, either.

When I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2007, I decided I would start picking up some hobbies. My mom bought me a sewing machine for graduation and I meddled around with it a few times. I made some simple curtains for not one, but three different apartments that year (2 were mine, was my beloved friend, Gianna's - come to think of it, I think I still owe her a window or two worth of curtains).

I also fixed the inseam of a pair of pajama scrubs. and I made "Stockings" for Christmas two years ago. They are "stockings" in quotation marks because they are just rectangular and not actually stocking-shaped.

But I have been in school since the fall of 2008 pursuing my second degree, so my "hobby" of sewing pretty much took a turn for the dusty and forgotten.

This summer I decided I would try to knit. My needles, 1 ball of yarn, and copy of Stitch 'N Bitch are still waiting for me to take another go at it.

I have obviously continued to read for pleasure - now on book number 23 for the year (this number would be more impressive, but I re-watched all episodes of Parks & Recreation, The Office, Glee and Grey's Anatomy... and now I am starting Mad Men on instant Netflix. I can't really be proud of getting rid of cable television, but have watched this many TV shows in the same year....)

I am going to start working on a quilt this month. I need to figure out the logistics of it and then sit down and actually start it.

And one of my more elusive (and hipster) hobbies - owl hunting. That has DEFINITELY picked up this summer when I went on a solo road trip and stopped in a couple different antique malls through Mississippi. And etsy.com.

One of the many owls who have made it to my living room this summer:



No comments:

Post a Comment